Thursday, July 1, 2010

CIJ Journal Entry 1: EGGNOG

1. Eggnog----Yum! or Yuck? (feel free to elaborate with specific memories of tasting eggnog for the first time, making eggnog, always remembering your grandmother having eggnog, etc...)

I love, love, LOVE eggnog. As a teen, I remember my mom and Roger trying to make homemade eggnog. I had to get my share BEFORE they spiked it with the "grown up" stuff. I've never made homemade eggnog, but I love using recipes with eggnog. Eggnog pie has become a required dish at Christmas at our home. Doug loves to drink eggnog and in fact, will drink about 32 ounces at a time if I let him. Ciara can only handle a small glass or she gets a belly ache. Recently they've come out with various flavors and I find that the old fashion traditional flavor is my favorite. Oh..did I mention eggnog Ice Cream. That's another favorite!


Here is a quick and easy eggnog pie recipe:

EGGNOG PIE 
1 c. cold dairy or canned eggnog
1 pkg. (6 serving size) Jello, vanilla flavor instant pudding & pie filling
1/4 tsp. rum extract
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
8 oz. carton Cool Whip non-dairy whipped topping, thawed
1 prepared 8 to 9 inch graham cracker crumb crust, cooled
Pour cold eggnog into bowl. Add pie filling mix, rum extract, and nutmeg. With electric mixer at low speed, beat well until blended, about 1 minute. Let stand 5 minutes. Fold in 2 cups of the whipped topping. Spoon into pie crust. Chill until firm, about 2 hours. Garnish with remaining whipped topping. Sprinkle with additional nutmeg, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment