Thursday, July 15, 2010

CIJ Journal Entry Day 15: Gifts or Presents?

15. Do you consider yourself a practical gift giver or a creative one? Do you like shopping of a list made by the recipient or just your own ideas? Do you think there is a difference between a gift and a present? I'm definitely a creative one. I listen all year for hints, look throughout the year for things I know my friends would like and really try and take the time to come up with something personal, as well as practical. It's usually a mix of both. I also try and give at least 1 homemade gift a year. Some years I'm right on, some I'm not. I only usually ask for a list for older kids. The older they get, the harder it is. And I know my daughter loves getting gifts she's asked for from others. It's always a surprise that way! 


Personally I think I"m an easy one to buy for, but often people ask me because they are having a hard time. So I try and keep a small list that my daughter can distribute if asked. My husband always buys me 1 big gift and it's always a surprise. Something he knows I've wanted or asked for earlier in the year. Camera, TV, Palm Pilot, Jim Shore Pieces or any other "electronical device" I might need at the moment. 


I definatly think there is a time and a place for gifts and presents. It's nice to be surprised with the perfect gift. I don't want every thing off my list, because then the element of surprise goes away. For seniors, I think pratical gifts are the best. More and more, I'm trying to give practical "clutter free" gifts, rather then another collectible. 


But to be honest, I go back and forth on this every year. I ponder and always evaluate which is best and decide that each year is a new year. Every year has different circumstances and such, so go with the flow is my new motto.

No comments:

Post a Comment